Sunday, March 29, 2009

Free from fear

Fear. What things come to your mind when you read that word? All around you and I we see people who are in a state of fear. All you really have to do is turn on the TV.

Look at this verse...
2 Timothy 1:7a
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity..."

I think it's important for us to remember that God does not want us to live in fear.
Joshua 1:9 "Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged..."
Isaiah 7:4 "Be careful, keep calm and don't be afraid. Do not lose heart..."
Isaiah 41:10a "So do not fear..."
Isaiah 54:4 "Do not be afraid..."

I heard someone say once that "Do not fear" is the most common greeting from God or an angel to people in the Bible.

I was in church a few weeks ago and heard a great message from a guy named Rene Schlaepfer. He had some great insight and here is some of what he said...
Fear has many damaging effects, some of which are:
  • Fear paralyzes our potential.
  • Fear causes extreme exhaustion.
  • Fear crushes our confidence.
  • Fear ruins relationships.
  • It causes lapses in our logic.
  • It's the prelude to panic.

How can you overcome fear in your life? Here's one thing you can do...
Face down fear with facts.

Answer fear's questions with truth:
  1. Does God promise to meet all my needs? Philippians 4:19
  2. Does God promise to be with me at all times? Hebrews 13:5
  3. Is anything too hard for God? Jeremiah 32:27
  4. Have others faced things like this and grown?
  5. Could this situation build my character? Romans8:28,29

1 comment:

  1. Your words speak to my heart greatly.Its kinda like you wrote this for me. But I find it very comforting and it gives me a lot of insight on what I need to do right now.
    Always remember what I tell you okay.I think your an amazing person with a great heart and I am thankful that you came into my life when you did.I told you it was a sign. See you are up to super duper status like me. Its just a state of mind remember. lots of love you way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Make sure you leave your name so I know who you are.